Monday, December 20, 2010

Hope

Christmas time can exciting, overwhelming, frustrating, depressing for some and memorable.  I'm sure we all can add our own adjectives to describe our feelings about the holiday and time of the year.

This year I am feeling such a  mix of emotions during this season.  I'm anticipating the holiday with my grandchildren.  To see and feel their excitement makes me feel like a kid again.  It can be overwhelming trying to accomplish all you plan to do, to be ready for the holiday.  It's easy to get frustrated when  you realize it can not all get done.  I realize that the whole celebration  of the season can cause some to feel depressed.  No matter what, each Christmas that passes brings it's own memories.

I have found that I want this time of the year and Chirstmas itself, to be more about the reason behind the day.  This is one reason that I am pleased that the exchange of gifts has  changed for our family.  It means more to me that we are giving in different ways to causes that can help others, and we are spending time to be together.

There is a Christmas song (My Grown Up Christmas Wish) that makes so much more sense to me these past years.  It makes me hope that people would truly learn to live and act as if Christmas time is everyday of the year and realize life on earth is more about helping, caring and sharing with everyone.

There is sadness mixed in with thoughts of the upcoming holiday.  There is a family that we know that is facing a difficult time right now.  Sarah is a 38 year old wife and mother of two young boys who has fought a valiant fight for several years, but is now at the point where the fight is ending.  They have had hope along the long road they have traveled dealing with this situation.  Each time they hit a wall there was hope for something else to try.

Though the fight looks like it will be over, my hope is that Sarah will find peace, that her family will know that she will be at peace and within time they too can be at peace with their great lose.  I am hopeful that they will know that many people care and will be there to help them.   Feeling hopeless does nothing ... it's so much better to have hope!

Sarah, you have touched many people and been an example to many.  I am hopeful that we have all learned from you.

In all things it is better to hope than to despair”   -   von Goethe


Hope is grief's best music.  ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment