Monday, March 22, 2010

Treasure Hunt Begins


"Each of us is an artist, capable of conceiving and creating a vision from the depths of our being."   Dorothy Fadiman



On Thursday we set out to begin, what I hope will be the beginning, several trips to search for those wonderful finds of "junque" or "antiques treasures".  This first venture to us to a small town located between Crystal Lake and Woodstock, Illinois.  (Just a side note here - this is the same Woodstock that where the movie "Groundhog Day" was filmed. One of my very favorite area small towns.)  Arriving in the little town of Ridgefield, your realize how tiny this town is.  The main area has a railroad track running through, dividing the main shopping district.  Within a one block space there are seven shops.  All but one are antiques shops.  Stepping into the first shop, that was at one time a church, we found a great collection of country pieces, both large and small.  While talking with the proprietor, and telling her that we just recently been told about the town, she informed us that she had been there for 43 years. She gave us information about upcoming events that take place during the warmer months. I'm sure we will be making return visits.

We found many wonderful pieces. We were on the lookout for a old wash stand with a ringer to hold two washtubs.  Found one and in great shape in the very first shop.  It will be a fun addition to the front of the house with bright flower filled tubs.  Picked up several other smaller pieces while visiting the other shops too.  In a day or two I will post photos of the purchases.  I already want to go back to see if the old laundry basket with its own rolling stand is still available.  When I saw it I knew it would be a unique item to have. The price was reasonable and I should have gone with my first instinct and snatched it up.

This short trip has given me desire for more and more treasure hunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment