Monday, February 2, 2015

Designer Craft Connection - I LOVE This Tool!

February's blog theme was to choose a technique or tool that I LOVE.  For me that's a tough choice!


If I am not making a quilt or clothing, I can honestly say that my "go to" tool seems to always be my Sizzix Big Shot™ and dies.  Whether designing a project for a gift, shared ideas or myself, I normally find some way to include the use of these items.  No matter what type of materials I could be working with, it's still the most used tool in my workroom.  Cutting fabric, felt, metal, thin plastics and wood, cork, chalkboard and magnetic sheets, I LOVE this little machine.

Make simple decorations or more intricate ones with the wide variety of shapes available from Sizzix.
Use nested heart thinlit dies (6) and two sizes of red jeweled hearts at bottom of string
I made this simple "String of Hearts" in a couple hours yesterday with scraps of red papers and a set of Sizzix Heart Thinlits™ nesting dies and the Big Shot™.

Simply cut four hearts from different papers for each various sized hearts.  Fold each of the heart shapes in half.  Glue the hearts together.  Before gluing the last fold of the fourth heart, insert bakers twine along the middle fold of the hearts.  Space each different sized heart on the twine, spacing evenly.  Form a loop at the top of the string for hanging.  (NOTE: I began the heart placements at the bottom of the twine by placing two small jeweled red hearts at the very end of the twine, followed by two larger jeweled hearts.  Then continue with the sets of paper  hearts - smallest to largest - up the twine to the hanging loop.)

I just made the one string, but I could see making a few more to hang along the arched area above the fireplace for decoration.  These hearts could be made from white papers and used for a wedding theme decoration, or switch out the shapes and use snowflakes, holly leaves, fall leaves, egg shapes, just to name a few, for other holiday decorations.  These were made from paper scraps, but consider using fused fabric, felt or fun-foam for a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment