Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sizzix Triple Play Blog Hop Week 1 - Shine A Little Light

So it begins ... It was a tough choice on what to do with this "house die".  The more I looked at it, the more ideas started to come to me.  I haven't seen the other designers ideas yet, but as I write this post I'm thinking that you will see many varied ideas. This little house could have many variations. Just the surface alone could be painted, papered, glittered, stamped and embossed with impression folders.  Any variety of mediums could be used to complete this house and embellish it.  
I chose to use fabric to decorate my little house, seeing that I would make it for my little granddaughter's bedroom.  You see I made it into a little "night light" to sit on the bookcase next to her bed.  The roof opens on one side to insert a battery operated candle that gives off a soft glimmer.
Extra windows were cut.
Once I completed this, more and more ideas came to me.  I could see using the house as decorations for any of the holidays, just by changing the colors and embellishments.  Being used as place settings on tables for parties or other celebrations or, for holding a variety of "goodies" for your guests are just a few ways to use it.

Starting out with the Scoreboard Pro Die, of the 3D House, #65279, I also used the Sizzix Album Cover & Page, by Brenda Pinnick, as a base for the house, plus Sizzilit Butterfly #2 Die to create my project for Hop #1.  My list of materials follows:
        Sizzix 12 x 12 matboard, white
        Sizzix Big Shot Pro die cutting machine
        Fabric scraps
        Steam a Seam sheets
        Zip Dry glue
        Doodlebug Design Fancy Frills stickers
        Wooden heart buttons
        Wire
        Velcro pieces
        Paper flowers & leaves
        Battery operated tealight candle

I covered all the basic pieces with the iron-on backed fabric.  Because of the use of fabric, I glued the pieces together instead of using redline tape.  Once the house was together, decorating commenced.  Used leftovers of glittered stickers for edging and outlining.  When I have fabric, I seem to have to use buttons.  Wooden heart buttons were glued to the roof.  A length of wire was spiraled and attached to the underside of the house and to the die-cut butterfly.  Punched paper flowers add a finishing touch.  Small pieces of self-adhesive velcro were placed on one side of the roof and house edge to hold it closed.  Finally the house was glued onto the base.

It would have been fun to have a few more of these die-cut houses to play with!!
NOW - you can "click" on the Sizzix Triple Play navigation button just to the right of this post, near the top.  You can click the word SIZZIX and start with the official Sizzix blog, or click on "forward" and it will automatically take you to the next blog and so on through them all.

Enjoy the inspiration!

21 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea to make this into a night light! I love how you decorated it and bet your granddaughter loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable way to use this house die - your granddaughter is going to love her new night light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of decorating a different house for various holidays - how cute would that be!? Wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, so cute! Love the pink and the same "tealight". Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This house is so darling and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madeline you always doe such wonderful work and I love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for you comments. It's so much fun to be apart of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute for a girly room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so cute. Very smart cutting extra windows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! And functional too! I love it when you can do both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used fabric too and found the iron-option to work great as well! I love the night light idea! What a magical way to fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute Night Light!!! TFS!!
    http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
    Rexann

    ReplyDelete
  13. SEW CUTE... I love all the fabrics and fiber you used on your house.. the buttons on the roof are perfect. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am grateful for talented people, like you, who create beautiful things:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so enjoy having fun with wonderful products and coming up with something creative. I only wish I could have had a half dozen little houses to create more! So happy to hear that people are loving the ideas from the participants.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh gingham, hearts, buttons, lace, roses. I want to be your grandchild! Mahalo for the adorable cottage.

    ReplyDelete