Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Favorite Ingredients - Stars & Stripes

So Eileen suggested "favorites" for this blog hop.  With that being said, I gathered several of my favorite things to create this latest project using another of Eileen Hull's ScoreBoard dies by Sizzix.
     *Fabrics
     *Felt
     *Ribbon
     *Vintage Rick-Rack
     *Odds & ends and Buttons
     *Favorite Color Combination: Blue, Red & White
     *Sizzix Flower Die
     * Eileen's ScoreBoard Cake Die
With the summer season approaching and three holidays (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day), were we celebrate the "Red, White & Blue", my color choice was easy.  Next decision was, should I do the obvious and "make a cake" or turn out something else?  My search began for materials to use.  Once the colors were decided on, the first step was  to go find fabric in my stash.  Then I rummaged through my drawer of lace, ribbons and trims for more ideas.  Dumped out the jars of buttons to find the right ones for embellishments.  Pulled out some remnants of felt to use where I could.  So I gathered several of my favorite things.  With everything sitting on my work table, ideas for the little jewelry box began to develop.
I cut three extra circles from heavy cardstock, the same size of the base, to use on the cover and the bottom.  Each circle was covered with fabric and glued to the top cover and inside, as well as the bottom. Fabric covered the outside of the cake.  White felt lined the inside, with a circle of blue felt at the bottom.  Red ribbon strips, as well as tiny vintage rick-rack was added for trim.  Red heart buttons, pearl trim and a flower, die-cut from red felt, is layered on the top.  Wooden drawer pulls and a star shape were stained and added as feet on the bottom and a knob on top.

So I hope you are "hungry for more"!  Take some time to enjoy all the "delicious concoctions" we have created for you.  Please leave us a comment so we know you enjoyed what we made.  If you leave a comment on Eileen's blog, you may be chosen to receive this Sizzix ScoreBoard die from her, so you can create your own recipe of fun!   Start hopping:
Eileen Hull
Ann Butler
Bonnie Bruns
Candice Windham
Craftside-A behind the scenes peek at a crafty world
Debra Quartermain
Einat Kessler
Jen Goode
Karen Burnston
Laura Bray
Life in the Craft Lane
Lisa Rojas, Stampin' Queen Creations
Michelle Cummings
Modern Surrealist - Marisa Pawelko
Niki Meiners
Roann Mathias Calligraphy
Sandy Laipply
Veronica Goff

5 Comments posted previously:
Lolly Chops said ....  I love this!!!!!   5/12/10  9:53 am

Peg said .... What a great idea!  Love the heart buttons   5/12/10  10:35 am

Eileen Hull said .... Madeline, these are some of my favorite colors too being from a military family.
Great idea to make a jewelry box.   Love the cool knob on top and flowers under it.  You always do
such thoughtful and beautiful work.  thanks!    5/12/10  11:13 am

KarenB said .... Fabulous!  I love the feet!  And the colors! And everything!  5/12/10  12:12 pm

JGoode said .... Fantastic job - I love the patriotic theme.. and the lid is absolutely wonderful idea.
Love all the textures!    5/12/10   12:36 pm

2 comments:

  1. great idea! I love boxes and yours is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty! I love the vintage 4th of July embellishments! it would a perfect table decoration!

    ReplyDelete