Wednesday, March 30, 2016

ETI Resin Project For New Bathroom

This post will show the project that was created for a bathroom edition in my basement near my workroom.  It was a much-needed addition to the workspace.  The purpose of the room was mostly for a source for water and clean up space. When planning this room I knew that I wanted to use resin from ETI somehow.


I knew that I wanted something different but functional.  At first, I wanted something like an old farm sink but that just wasn't in my budget.  After searching for sinks online I came across the rectangular vessel sink.  Faucets were my next concern and I wanted an old-fashioned look and found just the right ones.  The next thing to create was a unique base to capture the look I wanted.  The best place to look for something unique was our area, Flea Market.  At first, I was looking for old planks of wood but then I found some old barn doors and chose one to use.

All the old, original hardware was removed first.  After deciding on the size needed for the vanity top, some of the boards were removed to get the correct width for the top.  Next, the remaining piece was cut to the correct length of the top.  A piece of particle board was cut to fit under the barn door for added support.  It was attached to the base before the process of adding the resin began.

I have worked with ETI resin in smaller projects but this was my first attempt to do something so large.  It was a learning experience for sure! I did make a few errors in prepping for the project. To cover the door to the thickness I wanted, I had to do several pours of the resin.

Close-up of the first pour to fill the grooves between boards
Once the top was completed, it was decided where the sink would be placed and a hole for the drain was drilled through the layers.


Two of the pieces that were removed from the door were used as the backsplash along the back and right side of the vanity.  To coat these with the resin I elevated them with  small cans on a plastic covered table and prepared the resin.  Using a utility, bristle brush the resin was just brushed onto the boards.  Two coats of the resin were added to the boards.  They were then attached to the wall to finish the vanity top.

I love the results!  The resin brought out all the interesting imperfections of the wood to give the top its very unique look.

Now go to the other designers blogs and see what they have come up with using ETI products!

Ann Butler Designs – ETI Blog Hop March 31, 2016













13 comments:

  1. Awesome Resin project Madeline!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it was a learning experience for sure, but I would do it again!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Steph, it was fun to do. It makes me want to try some other large projects.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I still have little details to take care of but I'm happy with the outcome so far!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh this is fabulous! I love your finished project!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. The whole project was a big undertaking but so happy with the results of the totally DIY project.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amanda, glad you like it!

      Delete
  6. This is AMAZING Madeline! I want one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindi! Sorry that the photos aren't the best and I didn't take more of each step. I would definitely do something like this again.

      Delete