Tuesday, February 2, 2021

New Die Release - Folio Fun My Way

 It’s always fun creating with Eileen Hull dies, but really exciting, interesting and fun when there are brand new designs.  

The newest Eileen Hull dies released by Sizzix are the Folio, Mandala and Folio Page, Pocket and Flowers. I will be showing how I combined these dies for my creation. 



Though I will not be giving step-by-step instructions, this post will give a description of the process I used. 

When creating projects with Sizzix dies I have a tendency to try to combine a variety of materials and also play around with with the designs of the dies by altering them or combining them with others.  

The folio die will likely become another favorite! I think you will see that with the creations by the  others participating in this blog hop.  It’s always inspiring to see the ideas shared. This project begins of course with the folio die-cut design. It does have a old, shabby distressed look because of the materials used, plus the surface techniques used. The addition of the mandala design, the red, wool hearts and ribbon each add a little touch of warmth to the finished project.

  • This version has a spine that extends as far as possible. This gave me the opportunity to include several sections inside.
  • The outside of the folio was painted with a metallic copper paint. Brushed over with a wash of brown paint. Old dictionary pages are torn and applied to the inside of the folio cover with gel medium.
  • Corrugated board is cut to fit the front and back covers, as well as the front and back inner flaps.  
  • Apply adhesive for foiling sheets randomly into the corrugated pieces. Press foiling sheets of choice to add bits of the metallic foil on the covers. 
  • Use glue or adhesive sheets cut to size to add the covers and flaps to the folio.  
  • Cut a mandala design from a copper colored paper, backed with adhesive for the front cover. 
  • Cut the same mandala design from another type of paper for the back cover.  Gel medium was used to apply the design to the back. Heart shapes were cut from a felted wool sweater. Two are layered to the front cover, one to the back. A ribbon tie is added for a closure.

The inside has a variety of sections

  • The first section is enclosed as a holder. A couple folders were made to be inserts into the holder. Each folder has a tab added to the edge for removing and inserting them into the holder. 
  • The next insert is a folder made from card stock cut from an older Eileen Hull scoreboard die (Album). Pockets are added in two different directions from coordinating decorative paper.

  • The next insert is made with the older album die, cut from a acrylic folder and altered to create a narrow album insert.  The covers are embellished with the mandala cut from white copy paper. Use a gel medium to adhere them. Pages are made from copy or newsprint paper. 

  • The next two inserts are small lined notebooks. Each is covered with coordinating decorative papers. 

  • The last folded section also hold a small covered notebook and has a pen holder. The pen holder shape is from the Journal die. TIP: One or more pocket folder could be added to this section too. 

Finishing the folio
Follow along the list of participants to see a wonderful variety of ideas and styles. 
***A NOTE FROM EILEEN ***
Welcome to the Chapter 1 Eileen Hull/Sizzix Release Party Blog Hop! Just wait till you see all of the fun options the new ScoreBoards Folio Journal die has in store for you! You will also love the Mandala and Folio Page, Pockets and Flower Thinlits dies that coordinate ❤
Please hop through the blogs and be inspired by the work of the talented Inspiration and Educator teams! Leave a comment for each designer and you could win a Folio Journal die (as soon as it arrives!)
Join me and specials guests for a Facebook Live on Wednesday, Feb. 3 at noon Eastern. Comment on our Facebook Live and be eligible to win either the Mandela die or the Folio Pages, Pockets and Flowers die- two winners! 
Winners will be announced on the Facebook Live show on February 9 at 6:00 EST. 
We appreciate your love and support, friends!

75 comments:

  1. Beautiful Madeline project- well thought through and full of fun features. Love that pen holder idea and also all of the mixed materials you have added to make this so heart-warming. Thanks for hopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! This is a great one and many, many possibilities with it. Can't wait to use it more!

      Delete
  2. This looks so interesting & look forward to seeing more. I just love the mandala with the spotty paper on the red corrugated back ground Stunning. Lots of different things used which is so inspiring . Thank you Madeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! I'm looking forward to more fun with this die. I love mixing things up when it comes to materials!

      Delete
  3. This is amazing, beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Brown tones don't have to be dull - a pop of color can change the whole look!

      Delete
  4. How creative and love all the mixed media approach! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Mixed media is always fun, loads of options. I look forward to more!

      Delete
  5. what a lovely book with your beautiful hearts and Mandala on the cover Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! Can never go wrong with hearts!! The Mandala is a wonderful addition for embellishing in many ways!

      Delete
  6. Love the white mandela. The corrugated look is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I've cut the mandala from various colors, but the white sure stands out. Corrugated board or paper are very interesting to work with - give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful book! I love that Mandala die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! The new folio die is fun to work with and this new intricate mandala die makes a great addition to add a special touch to anything!

      Delete
  8. Love the use of the corrugated board.....beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a fun material to play around with! It makes a interesting background!

      Delete
  9. Oh love all the inserts! Cannot wait to try out these new dies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I wanted to share as many easy ideas as I could. There's so many more that I can't wait to try myself!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful and simple journal! Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! That's what I was hoping for when my idea began with these new dies!

      Delete
  11. Just wow- and I love the way you used hairbands to attach things. Thanks for that useful tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! Happy to share ideas, new or old! That tip to use hairbands sure helps making things easy.

      Delete
  12. So much beautiful inspiration! I loved how you used a variety of materials to create your projects. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, happy to hear that! I honestly find it hard to just use one type of material for most projects! I love mixing things up!!!

      Delete
  13. So pretty. Can't wait to get this die to add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too can't wait to add this die into my collection. These type are my favorites!

      Delete
  14. Love the corrugated boards. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary! Happy to see so many good reactions to the use of corrugated! Unexpected materials can be the most interesting!

      Delete
  15. Loving the corrugated card cover and the beautiful books you made for the inside of your wonderful folio journal Madeline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenny! My hope was to share a little different material to work with. Seems the corrugated was a good one! Your's is exquisite, filled with inspiration!!!

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous project, watching you on FB live now, love your room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maggi! It was fun to create! I know how lucky I am to have such a wonderful space to work in!

      Delete
  17. This is lovely Madeline it was great seeing it live! So many tricks and treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! Nerves and all, it was fun! I do enjoy sharing ideas. Think it all went very well and is was enjoyed by all!

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing your journal and your studio! That was really fun and inspiring today! Really love the charm die!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I was happy to have this opportunity. It's fun to create anything and it's great seeing so many with the same interest! Always been a fan myself of Eileen's dies since she started!

      Delete
  19. Awesome, love the idea of using little lined notebooks for signatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lagene...those little notebooks are so perfect and EASY! Thank you!

      Delete
  20. What a fun and pretty way to create from the folio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy! It was lots of fun to create! Your art work is so amazing! Sure loving these new Eileen Hull dies!

      Delete
  21. Such a clever design, thanks for sharing live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a pleasure, nervious, but also a pleasure. It's a great die!

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. So much fun to make and happy to have the opportunity to share! Thank you Emma Rose!

      Delete
  23. Such a lovely Folio with all the pockets and tuck spots you included! I love that you cut the hearts from a wool sweater! Great seeing you on the LIVE with Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Susie! Another great die to use from Eileen! So many ways to add extra fun to this die. Your idea was wonderful, so, so many great uses, that's what great about this group!

      Delete
  24. This is so pretty! Great idea to use an old wool sweater for the heart on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I knew there was a reason to save so many things for future uses. It was a nice, old chuncky, bright red one that was perfect for hearts!

      Delete
  25. So pretty! Love the folio and medallion dies! Lots of pretty details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all great dies, with loads of uses. Happy to read your comment, Thanks Denise!

      Delete
  26. Hi Madeline, Your grungy corrugated folio is gorgeous. You are right about the wool hearts and mandala additions they do give it a softer warm look.Loved the look around your craft room, what an amazing space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you comment here! I don't mind grungy browns and do like them from time to time, but I feel they need a little something extra ... the hearts and mandala were needed! I'm very lucky to have a wonderful space to work in.

      Delete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous and your room is fantastic xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so very much Elizabeth! It's been fun to see you in your own space too! Love seeing your lovely creations, simply gorgous! I realize how fortunate I am to have the space I have but of course it more space to mess up and have to clean up!

      Delete
  28. So pretty! Thanks for sharing your beautiful folio with us!

    Linda Zombori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Linda! It was my pleasure to share with everyone. Eileen's dies are my favorites to use!

      Delete
  29. Love this! My favorite features are the recycling/up-scaling and the pen loop! Thanks for sharing and for the tour yesterday. I always get organizing ideas when I see your marvelous studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's good to read such positive comments. I enjoy sharing my ideas and hope they can inspire others. One can never have enough organizing ideas!!!

      Delete
  30. This is beautiful Madeline, I particularly like the touches of foil on the corrugated cardboard. I also love your craft space albeit if it is a bit lonely and that big room is crying out for fellow crafters xxx. Maz Standing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear that and means so much! As the saying goes ... "less is more"! In many cases that's the best! Definitely looking forward to the day when I can use my space for sharing ideas with others.

      Delete
  31. Love this Madeline- I particularly love the touches of foil on the corrugated cardboard - it really makes it for me. Love your craft space even if it currently is a bit lonely for you with that empty big room crying out for crafters. Maz xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this Madeline- I particularly love the touches of foil on the corrugated cardboard - it really makes it for me. Love your craft space even if it currently is a bit lonely for you with that empty big room crying out for crafters. Maz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Maz! Knowing that any of my little creations can be viewed and maybe inspire others is a very good feeling.

      Delete
  33. I saw your video hop on eileens reveal.....oh my word I have craft room envy!!!!... yours is amazing. I adore your makes, oooohhhh I just love it when anyone does a bit of recycling...fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much Jane! Your comment makes me very happy! It's not magazine worthy but it sure is a really wonderful space to have after many years of just a table in a corner of a family room! I k ow how truly lucky I am! I've always been one to redo, reuse and recycle!

      Delete
  34. I love your use of unique materials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne, glad to hear that! I love everything paper but it's so much fun to mix things up and include the unique and different!

      Delete
  35. Wow! What a fantastic Folio! I love the use of all the different materials, especially the corrugated. Your hanging charm is sweet and the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! It’s fun to mix things up when creating!

      Delete
  36. Love to see how you added your inserts and pen for the folio. Wonderful projects you create!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise! Very happy to hear this! I try to add fun, interesting and hopefully easy ideas to my projects!

      Delete
  37. Love the way you used the cardboard for this!

    ReplyDelete